Cooking with avocado is healthy, delicious and a lot of fun, especially when you pick interesting recipes! Below, we’ll share our favorite 5 recipes with avocado, but first let’s say a few words about this incredible super-food that is highly appreciated for its essential nutrients and potential health benefits. The alligator pear (its other popular name) is very rich in protein and dietary fiber. This is good news for vegetarians who are looking to obtain proteins from non-animal sources. Furthermore, organic avocados are full of heart healthy fats, generally monounsaturated fat such as Oleic Acid which reduces the bad cholesterol in the blood and can aid in preventing a heart disease and strokes. In contrast to many other fruits, alligator pears have very low sugar content – ½ avocado has about 0.2gr of sugar. Avocado contains a wide number of minerals and vitamins, as well as a few phytochemicals which protect against some ailments. Thanks to the mineral potassium, alligator pears can help lower high blood pressure. The nutritious fruit can fortify the heart not only with its beneficial fatty acids, but also thanks to vitamins B6 and B9 (they control the Homocysteine levels), vitamin E and the Glutathione content. The glutathione phytochemical and all the other avocado’s antioxidants kill the free radicals in the body, hence they help prevent cancer. Alligator pears also promote healthy eye vision and act as an anti-inflammatory means.
Now, without further ado, here are some of the most delicious avocado recipes you can enjoy preparing and eating!
1. Avocado Egg Cups
picture via onionringsandthings.com
A protein-rich healthy recipe that’s both nutritious AND delicious, plus it has such an aesthetic look!
- 4 eggs
- 2 avocados
- 1 tablespoon green onions, chopped
- 2 bacon strips, cooked crisp and crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- Use a knife to cut the avocados lengthwise into halves and remove their pits. Scoop out a bit to make place for the eggs if needed.
- … read the full Avocado Egg Cups recipe here
2.Chocolate Vegan Cupcakes with Avocado Icing
picture via Loveandlemons.com
Health-friendly desserts can be incredible on the palate and these avocado treats are the proof!
Ingredients for the frosting:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup chopped dark baking chocolate (around 65% cacao)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- pinch of sea salt
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup agave syrup
- 1 1/4 cups spelt flour (or blend of white/wheat)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Melt the chocolate in the micro or on the hot stove, but be careful not to burn it. Then let it cool a bit.
- Use a blender to mix all the ingredients together.
- … read the full Cupcakes with Avocado icing recipe here
3.Salmon Avocado Rice Balls
photography by Ben Dearnley
These represent a sophisticated dish that would satisfy anybody’s choosy taste!
- 1/2 small avocado, peeled, stone removed
- 2 cups SunRice Japanese Style Sushi Rice, rinsed
- 50g sliced smoked salmon, chopped
- 5 tablespoons sushi seasoning
- 1/2 carrot, nicely chopped
- 1/4 Lebanese cucumber, nicely cut in pieces
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- 3/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- Soy sauce for the serving
- Put the rice and 2 cups of cold water in an average-sized saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium heat then decrease heat to low. Simmer covered for about 15 minutes or until the rice seeds get tender. Then remove the pan from the stove and leave it covered for 10 minutes.
- … read the full recipe on taste.com.au
4.Cold Avocado Cucumber Soup
picture via prevention.com
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- 2 avocados
- 2 unpeeled cucumbers
- 2/3 c each of yogurt and milk
- 1 c vegetable broth
- 1tbsp each of lemon juice and chopped mint
- 2tbsp chopped onion
- 1 pinch of cayenne
- 1tsp vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper and salt
- Mix the 2 unpeeled cucumbers, 2 avocados, 2/3 c each of yogurt and milk, 1tbsp each of lemon juice and chopped mint, 1 c of vegetable broth, 2tbsp of chopped onion, pinch of cayenne and 1tsp of vinegar in a blender until you have a fine puree texture.
- … read the full Avocado Cucumber soup recipe here
5.Dairy-free Chocolate Banana Avocado Milkshake
picture via meaningfuleats.com
What a great and delicious way to supply your body with healthful nutrients – a frosty, nutritious chocolate avocado super-drink that can make you feel fresh and delighted! You’ll be surprised how creamy the alligator pear makes this beverage!
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 an avocado
- 2 cups cold almond milk
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 cup of ice
- 1tsp chia seeds
- 2tsp raw honey
- 2tsp raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- … read the full Avocado milkshake recipe here
Jamie Oliver talks about how to prepare an Avocado safely, easily and quickly
Product on the featured image: OXO Good Grips 3-in-1 Avocado Slicer