Dry and flaky skin can cause a lot of problems. It leads to inflammation, itchiness and a variety of other issues with which you have to deal. Irrespective of the season, you have to ensure that you take the right steps to hydrate your skin. You don’t need to make any elaborate plans to do so. You have to use the ingredients available at your home and look after your diet if you want to keep your skin hydrated.
The problem is that most of the people do not even monitor their skin for signs of dehydration. That is why, when they suffer from redness of the skin or inflammation of the skin, they try to take specific steps to hydrate it. You should incorporate the skin hydration steps right into your daily schedule so that you do not suffer from this problem.
We will today share with you a guide which will help you keep your skin hydrated at all times.
Exfoliate your skin
Exfoliation ensures that you can remove the dead skin cells. Once you remove the dead skin cells, fresh ones take their place. The new skin cells get proper nutrients as well as water with the help of the blood vessels. As a result, they are hydrated and smooth. With the help of regular exfoliation, you can get not only smooth skin, but also a skin which is hydrated.
Instead of using any cosmetic exfoliator, it is a good idea to make one at home. You will need two tablespoons of any light oil and cup of pine nuts. The procedure to create an exfoliator is pretty easy.
- You have to 1st blend the pine nuts in the food processor. A half cup will be more than enough.
- You have to then add two tablespoons of light oil to it.
Аpply this mixture to the skin, which needs exfoliation. Неьт, let the mix be for at least a few minutes before rinsing it off. With the help of this natural exfoliator, it will be easier for you to exfoliate your skin and get smooth and wrinkle-free skin. It is one of the easiest ways to keep your skin hydrated.
Using essential oils
Another option which you can have at your disposal to keep your skin hydrated is to use essential oils. You have to dilute them in water and use them to moisturize your skin. Once you do so, it is easier to not only provide the nutrients to your skin but also keep it hydrated.
Some of the essential oils which you can use include:
- Clary sage
You have to ensure that you dilute them in water before applying them onto your skin. Once you do so, it is easier for you to get smooth, glowing and hydrated skin.
Lubricate your skin
Skin lubrication allows you to provide an additional layer to the surface. Moreover, it also hydrates the skin, which can help you in the longer term. If you are suffering from dry skin, lubrication and hydration are both essential to treat it. The side effects of dry skin are plenty. You can suffer from accelerated aging symptoms like wrinkles, dark spots due to the hydrated and flaky skin. The reduction in wrinkles and other aging symptoms are the primary benefits of hydrating your skin.
When thinking about lubricating your skin or hydrating it, instead of using cosmetics, it is a good idea to use natural ingredients. When you use natural ingredients, it is easy for you to avoid the side effects of cosmetics. Some of the natural ingredients which you can use include:
- Cocoa Butter
- Essential oils
When you use these natural ingredients, you can avoid the use of petroleum jelly based moisturizers. It will help you avoid a lot of side effects. You can apply these ingredients to your skin when it is damp. These ingredients will assist the skin in retaining the moisture. Hence, you can get safe, soft and hydrated skin for a long time. It will allow you to improve your skin quality after a while. You should apply them regularly rather than on an occasional basis. Once you do so, it is easy for you to keep your skin hydrated.
Keep the ambiance right
The weather and the ambiance around you play a significant role in moisturizing your skin. If the weather or the ambiance is not up to the mark and is pretty dire, it can de-moisturize your skin as well. That is why it is essential for you to always keep your home and the premises at the right temperature. You can achieve this by installing a humidifier. It will ensure that the level of humidity in the air is as per your requirement. As a result, the evaporation of moisture will not get accelerated.
If you do not get access to a humidifier, a temporary remedy which can help you is to keep a bowl of water on the radiator in your home. It will help you in diffusing moisture into the air regularly. You can avoid the expense of buying a humidifier by adopting this technique temporarily. The higher the moisture content in the air, the slower will be the drying process of the skin. It will allow you to keep your skin hydrated.
Choosing the right cosmetics
Most of us check the brands when we buy cosmetics. The problem is that cosmetics consist of various ingredients which can dry your skin. Moreover, if you are using cosmetics and skin care products regularly, the side effects can make your skin inflamed and flaky. Even when following the above few steps, it can harm your skin. Hence, it is crucial to understand the cosmetics which you should use.
Some of the tips which you can follow while buying cosmetics include:
- You should avoid cosmetics which contain a significant quantity of alcohol.
- You should avoid toners.
- You should avoid cosmetics which primarily consist of artificial or synthetic ingredients.
- You should avoid cosmetics which do not rely on natural ingredients.
It is a good idea to go for cosmetics which rely on ingredients like witch hazel. These natural ingredients do not accelerate the process of drying out the skin. When you use them occasionally, you don’t need to worry about the hydration of the skin. That is why it is essential to check the ingredients of the cosmetics rather than just looking at the brand of cosmetics. Once you take this precaution, it is easy to keep optimal moisturizing of the skin.
Proper food and water consumption
Your diet plays a vital role in keeping your skin hydrated. If your nutrition is not adequate, the water content in your skin will go down. Similarly, the nutrients which your skin needs will also go down. In such a case, you will not only suffer from dehydration, but other symptoms like wrinkles, dark spots, flaky skin. That is why it is essential to keep a watch on food and water consumption.
There are a few tips which you have to follow when it comes to managing your diet to keep your skin hydrated.
- Consume 9 cups of liquids daily. These 9 cups can include water as well. You need to keep away from tea (generally black tea), soda, caffeine. Caffeine can lead to dehydration, which can impact your skin. Hence; it is better to stay away from caffeine as much as possible.
- Try to consume foodstuffs which are rich in water. Additionally, you should eat soups regularly as well. You should avoid crunchy and salty foods as far as possible. Similarly, dry foods may dehydrate your skin as well.
- You have to consume ingredients which can provide your body with omega-3 and omega six fatty acids. Some of them include walnut, flax seed oil, and black currant oil. You have to ensure that your diet consists of ingredients which can provide vitamin E to your body. These alone will help you avoid problems like acne and inflammation of the skin.
- Include nuts in your diet. They provide antioxidants to your body which reduces the dehydration of your skin. Additionally, they also have omega-3 fatty acids, which protect your skin against UV rays.
- If you are looking to modify your diet to keep your skin hydrated, avocado and cucumber are the two ingredients which you should include in your diet. Avocado consists of plenty of antioxidants. It also consists of monounsaturated fats. It not only hydrates your skin, but ensures that the signs of aging get reduced. Similarly, cucumber includes a significant quantity of water. It helps in direct moisturizing of the skin. It can also increase the skin elasticity which will help you get smooth and wrinkle-free skin.
- If you like seafood, you can consume oysters. Oysters consist of a significant quantity of zinc. Zinc can repair the skin. That is why, if you are suffering from dry skin, oysters are the perfect option for you. Similarly, you can consume salmon, herring, tuna to get the omega-3 fatty acids for your skin. The omega-3 fatty acids directly help moisturize the skin. They also strengthen it.
With the help of the right diet, you can avoid the problem of dehydrated skin. You need to keep in mind that it is essential to have a balanced eating regime. When your body is getting all the vital nutrients, it will be easier for you to keep your skin hydrated and avoid any other skin problems.
Use the right sunscreen
Whenever you are moving out into the sun, your skin is consistently losing moisture. Due to the sun rays, moisture gets sucked out of your skin. The problem with this is that if you spend more than 1 hour outdoors daily, it can dehydrate your skin quite quickly. Hence, it is good to use a proper sunscreen when going outdoors during the daytime. It will not only help you keep the skin hydrated, but will also protect it from UV rays.
Some of the tips which you can follow to choose the right sunscreen include:
- Select sunscreen which can help you keep UVA and UVB rays at bay.
- Check the sunscreen protection factor. You should choose a sunscreen with the SPF rating of 30 or higher.
- If you are using a water-resistant sunscreen, it can last for only 40 minutes to 80 minutes. Water resistant does not mean is that it is sweat proof. That is why; you have to reapply it every 2 hours when you’re outdoors. It is better to choose a water-proof sunscreen which will allow you to apply it once and forget about it.
With the help of these three factors, it is easy to choose the right sunscreen which will help you protect your skin against UV rays and also the loss of moisture. When you’re consistently using the sunscreen, you can even reduce skin aging signs. Hence, it is easy to not only have a hydrated skin, but improve your looks as well.
Soothing your skin with right ingredients
There are a wide variety of ingredients in your home, which can help you in soothing your skin. Once you soothe your skin and provide it with antioxidants, the loss of moisture reduces. Your skin will get water from these ingredients which will keep it hydrated for a long time.
Some of these include:
- Mix tomato with lemon juice and apply it on your face for 10 minutes. You have to then wash it off with cold water. It will help you keep your skin fresh and also increased hydration levels.
- Make a face pack of cucumber paste and apply it on your skin. It will increase the hydration levels and also soothe your skin.
- You can also make face packs from ingredients like honey, oatmeal, milk. It will allow you to keep your skin hydrated for a long time.
- If you are choosing face packs available in the market, it is a good idea to select the ones which do not consist of any chemicals and are fruit based. These will also help you in increasing the hydration levels of your skin.
Most of these mixtures can be applied to face and other parts of the body as well. These ingredients are readily available which ensures that you can use them regularly without any issue. When using natural ingredients to soothe your skin and increase the hydration levels, you do not need to worry about any side effects which is an added advantage.
So, if you are struggling to keep your skin hydrated, it is time to use the eight steps which we have highlighted in this guide. You can pick the ones which are the most convenient for you.
These steps will allow you to take care of your skin. It will also help you reduce the signs of aging, which means that you will automatically reduce the usage of cosmetics. When that happens, you can keep away from the side effects of cosmetics which will automatically help your skin. With the help of this guide, you don’t need to about the dehydration of your skin anymore.